|Chiropractic and SENIORS|
Key to Senior Fitness: Chiropractic Care, Healthy Lifestyle
· Walking improves elasticity in blood vessels, which makes them less susceptible to formation of aneurysms or rupture.
· Start with one-third of a mile per day - one-sixth out and one-sixth back. (Measure the distance with your car.) Do that three days a week for a month, then double the distance, working gradually up to at least one mile a day, three days a week.
· Expect a little soreness in the thighs and calves for the first week or two. If you experience more than soreness, check with Dr. Lucia.
· The average person should stretch to prevent the bowing or stoop caused by shortening of ligaments. A stoop can inhibit normal breathing.
· Stretch the groin muscles by sitting on the floor and bending one leg to the side and back as far as possible. Or sit Indian fashion on a cushion and watch television. A relaxed stretch is the goal.
· Stretch the back leg muscles by putting your hands on a wall, one foot flat on the floor behind you. Then lean into the wall. Or sit with one foot on an ottoman and bend forward.
· Make sure you have a properly balanced diet. If you take vitamins, take them with a meal. Drink 10 eight-ounce glasses of water a day to help keep the kidneys active, dilute and remove toxins from the body, and replace lost fluids. (Coffee, tea, soft drinks and alcohol are diuretics. Don't substitute them for water.)Dr. Lucia is here to guide you through your "golden years", enjoy them to the fullest with Chiropractic